How I Healed My Hormonal Acne Holistically 🌱
I wanted to share my journey on how I healed my hormonal acne naturally. Before diving into this blog post, I wanted to give a gentle reminder that your skin does not define you or take away from your beauty. I have struggled with hormonal acne for years and have tried everything - from the contraceptive pill to the hormonal IUD, I thought these were fixing my acne, but in reality, I realised that my skin was only hiding the problem, not fixing it. Whilst pharmaceutical treatments like Accutane and hormonal contraceptives can provide quick relief, they can also have undesirable side effects and do not address the underlying root causes of the problem.
It wasn't until I began to explore holistic and natural approaches to skincare that I started to see real, lasting results.
Here are some tips on how I healed my acne holistically
1. See a naturopath, use non-toxic skincare and wear sunscreen everyday. 🌿
I see Danika from Solstice Skin (danikajane.wellness) who is a naturopath and specialises in skin health. Since seeing her, I have seen a dramatic change in my skin (the texture, less redness & breakouts). She prescribed a customised medical grade skincare (Dermaviduals ), a corrective skincare that supports your stratum corneum and acid mantle, whilst feeding your skin with all the essential nutrients it requires to function optimally. Everyday I use the cleanser, serum, moisturiser and sunscreen and that’s it!!! My skincare is very simple now. Make sure you wear sunscreen on your face everyday! (use a clean one, I love Ultra Violette Clean Screen or Dermaviduals.
I also saw a naturopath (@lilisykewellness) & was prescribed a tonic that has all the nutrients I need to promote glowing skin, as well as help manage stress and anxiety. If you don’t want to see a naturopath, one supplement that will definitely help your skin is zinc (I recommend bioceuticals brand). Also take probiotics for your gut.
2. Eat Hormone loving foods 🍋
- 🐟 Fish (salmon, trout) for omega 3 fatty acids which assists inflammatory skin conditions such as dryness or redness
- 🥑 Healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, nuts & seeds)
- 🌿 Herbs and spices (ginger, garlic, turmeric)
- 🍓 Vitamin C (Grapefruit, Orange, Kiwifruit, Capsicum, Berries, Broccoli, Spinach)
- 🥩 Protein (chicken, tofu, organic lean red meat, chickpeas etc): contains amino acids that we need to form healthy skin cells.
3. Vitamin D (sun exposure) 🌞
Did you know that just 20 mins of sun exposure a day is enough to maintain a healthy immune system. As long as your not burning your skin in the hottest time of the day then it’s good for your face!
4. Manage Stress Levels & Anxiety 🧘
- Start taking magnesium (I recommend bioceuticals powder)
- Cycle sync and change your exercise depending on your cycle.
- Daily Meditation/Breathwork (just 5 minutes a day is enough)
- Self-care: Eating more mindlessly, less scrolling & more reading books, ocean swims, doing things you love
- Regular saunas if available to you!
- Hydration: 2.5L of water per day
5. Daily Movement 🏃
Engaging in daily movement can help balance your blood sugar, stimulate the lymphatic system, and promote regular bowel movements. During your cycle opt out for less strenuous exercise and ensure you understand how to best exercise based around the different stages of your cycle. Sweat also helps eliminate toxin build up that can contribute to breakouts!
My journey to healing my hormonal acne holistically was a long and challenging one, but it was also incredibly rewarding. By making simple changes to my diet, lifestyle, and skincare routine, I was able to promote clearer, healthier skin from the inside out. If you're struggling with hormonal acne, I encourage you to consider a holistic approach. Remember, your skin doesn't define you, and you are beautiful no matter what. Embrace your journey and trust the process!